Saturday, January 25, 2014

MRI results

The results are in.
They do not surprise me.
The acoustic neuroma shows up as slightly larger on recent imaging.

Studies report:
Acoustic neuromas sometimes increase in size temporarily as a reaction to the Gamma Knife treatment. This is actually a favorable sign indicating a brisk response. Such swelling usually is most obvious between 6 and 18 months after the procedure. It should not be confused with increase due to lack of response in which case the tumor size will not return to the baseline but continue to increase. A definite assessment should be made two years after the treatment: was the swelling merely temporary or did the tumor fail to respond to the treatment?
This increase likely accounts for the increase in the spinning sensations and tinnitus.  I am glad there is so much information available online.  I have read much that helps dispel fear.

The neurosurgeon wants me to have my next MRI in one year.
In one year I expect to be on the mission field in Malawi.
We will have different insurance coverage.
My doctor here can not requisition treatment overseas.
It may well be possible to have the scan done in Africa and sent home on a disc.
but think I will request that the MRI be done at the seven month mark
if we are indeed leaving Canada in August
then re imaging can be done again two years later
when we return home on furlough.
I am leaving this in the Lord's hand for the moment
but will send an email to the neuro nurse in a few days.
Having the test completed on home soil
would eliminate stress and worry in our future planning.

One thing I am certain of
God already knows.
He Is already living in my future.

4 comments:

  1. Not unexpected, but still complicated, right? Praying with you that the testing can be done at home OR that there will be easily available equipment in Africa (probably South Africa, I'm guessing, which make a great trip for you at some point. You will need to come down from the elevation from time to time. We were at 4500 feet in Zambia and I think you'll be at least that high, right?) So sorry the tinnitus and vertigo are worse. Not fun. Thanks for the update, Karin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, I guess I'd forgotten about this struggle of yours. thanks for reminding us and keep us in the loop. God is 'living in your future.' yes. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Nice capture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete