Saturday, August 24, 2013

hearing less

I had to spend a long stretch of time on hold while waiting to talk to someone at airmiles about the possibility of booking a flight.

I should have used the cordless phone so I wouldn't be confined to the desk chair in the den, and be free to wander about the house if I wanted to, but I hadn't thought of that when I placed the call.

The only good thing about the delay was the music they played, not canned, but real and songs that I enjoyed.  My right hand grew tired of holding the phone so I thought I would switch to the left side.  I figured I could switch back to my good right ear when someone was finally available to talk to me.

I was surprised to discover that the hearing in my left (AN) ear seems to have diminished more.  I could hardly tell that there was any sound at all, never mind try to listen to the music.  I put the receiver back to my right side so I wouldn't miss the moment when a customer service rep cut in.  After more than thirty minutes I had other things I needed to do, so I gave up the wait and hung up.

A few days later I tried again, this time remembering to use the cordless.  Once again Ithe sound was fine using my right ear but almost silent using my left.

I'm curious to know if this is the acoustic neuroma reacting to the gamma knife treatment, perhaps swelling as it begins to die, or are there other reasons.

I don't know if this is temporary or a permanent worsening of my hearing.  Only God knows, and time will tell.

By the way, when I finally was able to speak with a customer service rep I found him to be quite delightful, courteous and helpful.  Unfortuneatly there are no flights available with airmiles the time of year I'm flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment